Why do my lights flicker?
This problem can be caused by several factors including plugging in an appliance that temporary draws more power causing the lights to flicker. Flickering lights are also often indicative of a defective or loose light bulb. If replacing or tightening the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, it is best to consult a licensed electrician, for expert diagnosis. The fault may be in the light fixture or its connections.
What is a GFCI device?
A GFCI or GFI is short for ground fault circuit interrupter. This inexpensive device is designed to protect you from severe electrical shocks. Through constant monitoring, a GFCI device immediately shuts off an electrical power circuit when it detects a differing flowing current along an unintended path, such as through water or a person. It can also shut off when outlets are overloaded to prevent electrical fires.
Why did my circuit breaker trip?
A circuit breaker plays a vital role in ensuring your safety by protecting the home from an electrical overload, which could damage your appliances, and ultimately result in an electrical fire. There are two conditions for circuit breakers tripping: 1) overloading and 2) short circuiting. It is common for older breakers (those 15 to 20 years old) to trip more often than newer circuits.
Why do my electrical outlets spark?
A brief spark may occur when power is suddenly diverted to an appliance. This is totally normal. However, if too much heat builds up in an outlet, the insulation can melt causing the wires to become exposed and ultimately increasing the risk for an electrical fire. This is known as a short circuit. Installation of a GFCI can prevent the overheating of electrical outlets thus ensuring your safety.
Why do my bulbs keep burning out so fast?
If you find yourself constantly changing light-bulbs, – at a rate of one every few weeks – you may be using a bulb with a higher wattage than your light fixture can handle. Check your light fixtures to make sure you’re using the correct wattage light bulbs. Other common causes include: too much voltage coming into your house, tightly screwed in light-bulbs, too much vibration, and poorly installed fixtures.